Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cooking With C.C. ~ Gluten Free Snickerdoodles

It's time for the 11th installment of Cooking with C.C. This is a recipe we made just before Christmas. Snickerdoodles are a favorite cookie of mine and until I was looking for something for us to bake together, I hadn't even thought of making them gluten free. Thankfully, I ran across a simple recipe, so let's get baking.


In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups sugar


and 13 tablespoons room temperature butter (this is 1 stick plus 5 tablespoons).


Beat with mixer until light and fluffy.


Beat in 2 eggs, 1 at a time, until well blended.


Beat in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.


To the mixture, add 2 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour,


1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum,


1/4 teaspoon salt,


1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon,


1 teaspoon baking soda,


and 2 teaspoons cream of tartar. Beat batter until it is thick and elastic.


Divide batter in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Chill in fridge or freezer. We figured out the hard way that if you only have a short time to chill before baking, chill it in the freezer for about an hour. If you can chill it for around 12 hours, chill in fridge.


In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon and 6 tablespoons sugar (this is double what the recipe calls for, but it makes coating the cookies much easier).


Grease hands with cooking spray. Roll small ball of dough and then smush flat. Coat both sides of dough in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Place on foil lined (and sprayed with cooking spray) pan with 2 inches between cookies. Place pan in freezer for about 10 minutes until dough is firm again. Coat both sides of dough in the cinnamon/sugar mixture again.


Preheat oven to 375*. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes (I like them soft, so we baked them around 8-9 minutes).


Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

I'm very pleased with how these turned out. I couldn't even tell a difference in the taste between these and those that are not gluten free. I liked these so much that they disappeared way too quickly. Oops! This recipe will definitely be added to my arsenal for repeat baking!

This recipe came from Gluten Free On a Shoestring. I made a few minor edits to the recipe which I explained above. Make sure and check out her website for tons of great recipes.

Hope you've enjoyed this episode of Cooking with C.C. I'll be back soon with another recipe. Let me know if you try this recipe. Can't wait to hear what you think. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Next time try at least one pan doing this:
    Roll dough into balls; coat with cinnamon/sugar mixture; place rolls on baking pan (don't smush); continue from there....baking regular snickerdoodles, I've always just made balls which flattened themselves into cookies.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, should I freeze them and reroll them in the mixture? Just take the smushing out?

    ReplyDelete

I ❤❤❤ to hear from my readers. Please leave a comment.