Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dialogue

#BetterWriter

31 Days to Become a Better Writer - Day 23


Today's Challenge:
I want you to write three excerpts of dialogue. They don’t need to be lengthy. The focus is the exchange of words even if it is just back and forth a few times. So, first identify which register it should be written in and then write a few lines of text back and forth between the parties.

1. A boyfriend and girlfriend saying goodbye as he is deployed for the next year.

2. A professor giving a lecture on the importance of attending class regularly.

3. A discussion between women at a local Mom’s group regarding preschools.



1. "I swear I'll be back as soon as I can." He reached out his hand to wipe away the tear that was sliding down her cheek.

"A year is such a long time. I'll be counting the days. 365. I can do this. We can do this. Only 365 days to go." She takes a deep breath trying to stop more tears from falling.

"I adore you my love. 365 days. I'll be back."

"Promise me. Promise you'll come back to me."

He raises his hands to cup her face and gently presses his lips to hers. "I promise."

2. "Good morning class. I'm Professor Holmes. This is Creative Writing 3315. If that is not the course listed on your schedule, you are in the wrong place and you can be excused." He waits in silence as two students attempt to leave the room without being seen. "Now, I assume the rest of you are ready to begin. We will meet Mondays and Thursdays from 9am to 10:50am. Not 10:48, not 10:49, 10:50. We start at 9:00, not 9:01, not 9:02, 9:00. I expect each of you to be in class every session. If you miss more than 3 class sessions, you will have 3 points deducted from your final grade for every additional class session you miss. If you miss 3 class sessions, you will fail my class. Is that understood? Good. Now, on to the syllabus."

3. "I don't know about yall, but I'm just terrified to send her to preschool. She's still my baby. She can't be old enough for that yet." Cherie looked at the other moms sitting around the picnic table. As a first time mom, she was depending on those with experience to help her through this next milestone.

"You have to decide what is right for you. There are a couple of days a week programs. There are morning or afternoon only programs. There are full-time programs. Or you could think about homeschooling." Lizzie had 3 kids and often filled the role of expert of the group.

"We've talked about homeschooling. We're already kind of doing it." Cherie hesitantly volunteered.

Several of the kids ran up asking for a snack at that moment. Lizzie had brought snacks today so she started handing them out.

Molly leaned over to Cherie and whispered, "We're thinking about homeschooling too. I'm going to a meeting next week for a local homeschooling group. Do you want to go with me?"

A wave of relief washed over Cherie's face. "Yes, please. Thank you Molly!"

~

I'll say it again, conversations are hard for me to write. Definitely not my cup of coffee, I mean tea. ;-)


Image Credit

2 comments:

  1. I totally almost used this picture! LOL There's that twin thing again! :) I totally know how it feels to be overwhelmed with paper from doctors appointments to bill to test results to prescriptions. It can be a lot! But there is new hope with each new day!

    BTW - you are a total hero for being able to keep up with two writer's challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friend! My blog calendar for April is insane. It's almost overwhelming. I'm glad that the 31 days one is not on the weekends and that it will be over soon. I'm struggling to keep up!

    ReplyDelete

I ❤❤❤ to hear from my readers. Please leave a comment.