Tuesday, March 20, 2012

31 Days to Become a Better Writer - Day 11

#BetterWriter


Today's Challenge:
Read these eyewitness accounts of President Lincoln’s Gettysburg address and then craft a post about them. The sky’s the limit. Be creative, be you.


Lincoln: Gettysburg Address text

I remember it as if it had happened yesterday. You see, it was the day I met the president - President Lincoln, that is. It almost didn't happen. The plan was for our brother Kersey to take Elmira Jane and I into Gettysburg. Something happened and Kersey couldn't take us, so he asked Mr. Walker to take us. However, at the last minute, Mr. Walker said he couldn't go either! Kersey then asked Mr. Wainer if we could ride in his wagon and he agreed. For a little while, I was sure there was no way we were going to make it. But we did! Ten of us piled into the wagon and headed for town. The road leading into Gettysburg was very crowded the nearer we got. So we got out of the wagon and walked the rest of the way. Elmira Jane and I left the rest of the group and headed for the center of town where our dear family friend Judge Wills lived. President Lincoln was staying at Judge Wills' home and we thought this was our best chance to see him up close. When we got there, we found ourselves suddenly looking up, up, up right into President Lincoln's face. He took my hand in his and smiled down on me. I couldn't believe it! Elmira Jane and I made our way to the cemetery, giggling and giddy the entire way. In the cemetery, we found a platform had been built. We sat in the stand waiting and from there, saw the president's procession make it's way to the cemetery. Then, his words rang out, clear and strong. Before I knew it, his speech was over. I'll never forget that day!



Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ❤❤❤ to hear from my readers. Please leave a comment.