Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Day 8 of 100 Days of Blogging

So my friend Rebekah asked a question on Twitter this morning that I thought I would blog on. The question is:
What does your ideal small group look like?

Well, for me, small group says community. Not just a group you see once a week and then have nothing to do with for 7 more days. Like, for example, our current small group which consists of 4 families (we had 5, but one couple is now in Korea teaching English - Hey Daniel & Chazley) - Russ & I with Damaris, 2 families with 3 kids each, and a husband/wife couple.

Prior to yesterday, we hadn't met in two weeks because of Spring Break and such. So, I sent out an e-mail to everyone last week so that we could figure out dinner for last night (we rotate who brings what and have dinner weekly) and what we were looking at studying together next since we had finished our previous study. The ensuing flood of e-mails (27 total!) ended up with us at the local coffeeshop eating Chinese food and hysterically laughing over a very inside joke that has been running for months now. Never before have I felt this type of community. I know that all I would have to do is pick up the phone or shoot out an e-mail and any of those in our group would be there at a moment's notice if we needed them. This is more than a Bible study and dinner group. This is true community for us.

So I don't know if I answered Rebekah's question and I know that not every small group is going to be like the one we're in now, but we're so thankful for where God has us and the people He has brought into our lives. Hmm, where have I heard this before? Possibly here? "All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer." (Acts 2:42)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ❤❤❤ to hear from my readers. Please leave a comment.