Friday, May 11, 2012

Identity



Linking up today with Five Minute Friday where you write for 5 minutes about the word for today and then publish without editing or perfecting.

Today's word:
IDENTITY

Start

The first thing to enter my mind when I saw the word identity was that song from several years ago called "Who I Am". You know the one where she talks about being someone's granddaughter, being the image of her father, and her mama being her biggest fan.

For me, my identity has shifted quite a bit in the last year. A year ago at this time, I was a hospital chaplain. I was involved in ministry. I loved working with patients and families. I hated the long hours and lost sleep involved in being a resident, but I loved my work. But my health was going downhill fast. I was in a wheelchair unable to walk the short distances between patient rooms. My last day as a hospital chaplain was August 31.

Now, my days center around trying to get rest and distracting myself from the chronic pain. While I am still all of the things mentioned in my tagline, a Christ follower, wife, Mamma, and fibromyalgia fighter, the fighter has had to really step up as I try to figure out a new normal.

But, you know what? I miss being a chaplain. I miss ministering! I miss saying prayers over the cribs of sick newborns and sitting with families as they awaited the news of their loved ones. I miss preaching and leading worship services. I miss having colleagues that cared about their work as much as I did.

I miss what I thought my life was going to look like. I'm grieving and wondering if and how I am going to be able to minister in the future. The blink of an eye and everything changes!

Stop



What about you? What do you have to say about identity in 5 minutes? If you link up, let me know. I'd love to read your post.


Image Credit

7 comments:

  1. You are ministering right here. Right now. Right on this blog. God WILL use you when your identity in Him. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    It must be hard to stop the physical ministry but online ministry is growing as well. I hope God leads you in the next path you are to take - for His glory.
    May He strengthen you, give you wisdom and heal you too.
    Blessings,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words and prayers Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your words of encouragement Beth! It means so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that song... thanks for mentioning it, gonna have to look for it and listen again!
    Finally reading through some Five Minute Fridays and I am thankful for your online ministry, too! Keep at it!
    praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment, encouragement, and prayer Julie Anne! :)

    ReplyDelete

I ❤❤❤ to hear from my readers. Please leave a comment.