Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cooking With C.C. ~ Gluten Free Southern Soda Bread

It's time for the 10th installment of Cooking with C.C. This is a recipe we made back in November. I was looking for a bread that could be used for communion at church. The recipe is actually one that I converted from non-GF to gluten free. Let's get baking.


Your bakers for today's recipe are C.C.


and Damaris


with special guest consultant Momma (aka Beckey aka B-Ma).


First, gather all your ingredients.


Next, we didn't have buttermilk on hand so we made our own by combining 3 cups of milk


with 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.


Mix well and then let it sit for 5 minutes and you're ready to go.


In a large bowl, add 4 1/2 cups of gluten free all purpose flour,


3 3/8 teaspoons of xanthan gum,


2/3 cup of sugar,


4 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder,


1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda,


and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.


Mix together. Make a well in the center of the mixture.


Into the well, pour the buttermilk we made earlier,


4 1/2 tablespoons melted butter,


and 3 lightly beaten eggs.


Mix until just blended. The batter will be almost smooth.


Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray.


Pour the batter into the pans, half in one and half in the other.


Preheat oven to 350*. Bake bread for 45 minutes.


Rotate the pans and cover loosely with foil. Bake for 30-35 more minutes until toothpick stuck in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.


Cool bread in pans on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.


Run knife around edge of pans to loosen bread. Remove bread from pans and cool on wire rack until completely cool, about an hour.


Slice bread and enjoy!

I'm very pleased with how this turned out. I've made it a couple more times since I originally made the recipe. It's great as toast or sandwich bread or just alone. It tended to crumble a bit when used for communion, but I think this would happen with almost any gluten free bread.

This recipe came from My Recipes. As I said above, I converted the original recipe from a non gluten free to a gluten free recipe.

Hope you've enjoyed this episode of Cooking with C.C. I'll be back soon with another recipe. Let me know if you try this recipe. Can't wait to hear what you think. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I bet it would be good warm, but I'm afraid it would be really crumbly. I'm not sure. Hmm....anyone have any thoughts on this?

    ReplyDelete

I ❤❤❤ to hear from my readers. Please leave a comment.