Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cooking With C.C. ~ Almost Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Dip

It's time for the 4th installment of Cooking with C.C. Last Thursday, we made Almost Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Dip. This was for Damaris' birthday dinner on Friday night. Chuy's is our very favoritist Mexican food restaurant in the Houston area. Not having access to a Chuy's was on our Top 5 reasons not to leave Houston list, or would have been if we had made such a list! Anyway, our favorite part about going to Chuy's is their Creamy Jalapeno dip that they serve with their chips and salsa. We could probably eat it by the gallon. Since we were having Mexican food for Damaris' birthday dinner, my Momma searched and found some copycat recipes. And then I narrowed down the choices and we came up with this one. Let me walk you through how to make it and then we'll compare it to the real deal.


First, scoop 16 ounces of light sour cream into a bowl.


Then add one package of ranch dip mix to the bowl (I used Hidden Valley brand).


Next, finely chop up 2 large jalapeno peppers (throw out the seeds and the stem obviously). You'll know you have chopped them finely enough when your arms are so tired you can no longer chop. Then ask your awesome friend Katie (or a friend of another name if you don't have a friend named Katie) to help you and have her chop them up until her arms are tired too. Add them, the peppers, not Katie's arms, to the bowl.


Add the juice of one large lime to the bowl.


Then add 2 cloves of garlic unless you are like me and buy the wrong thing or can't find cloves of garlic and then in that case, add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt to the bowl.


Tell Katie what an amazing job she did chopping up the jalapenos so that she'll chop up the fresh cilantro. You need 1/3 of a cup of this. Keep chopping until either your arms are about to fall off again or you've chopped the cilantro up as finally as humanly possible.


Then add the cilantro to the bowl. And stir, stir, stir to get everything mixed up.


Stir in milk (we used almond milk) a little at a time to thin the dip out to a more dip like consistency. If I make this again, I would add even more milk than we did this time.


And there you have it - Almost Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Dip!

The taste of our dip was almost right in comparison to the real stuff. I think it was the consistency that was off for me. We kept thinning it and I was afraid to thin it more. I thought it would be too runny. Everyone loved it at dinner though so that's a positive. I'll just have to keep thinning next time.

This recipe came from the Tasty Kitchen.

Hope you've enjoyed this episode of Cooking with C.C. If you try out this recipe, let me know how it goes. Maybe this will become a family favorite for your family too! I'll be back soon with the gluten free pumpkin cake we made for Damaris' birthday. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ❤❤❤ to hear from my readers. Please leave a comment.